Smoke Stacks.jpg
Smoke Stacks Train Tracks.jpg
abstract thumbnail.jpg

While the number or Americans believe that climate change is occurring, the percentage is still disappointingly low. The fact that climate change is something that one can believe in, or "accept," is in itself disappointing. 

"Seventy percent of Americans now accept that climate change is happening, outnumbering those who don’t by a 5 to 1 ratio, according to a new survey by the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication. More than half of those surveyed, 58 percent, said they also understand global warming is caused mostly by human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels."-Americans Who Accept Climate Change Outnumber Those Who Don’t 5 to 1, Yale Environment 360

While this 5:1 ratio may seem good, and 58 percent believing that climate change is caused by human activity, that leaves 42 percent of Americans either not believing in climate change at all, or not believing that it is caused by man. In addition. we have a president and in large part a congress, formulating policy as if climate change is not only a "hoax," but that any measure taken put in place in the past to combat it, is detrimental to business and growth, and needs to be overturned.

Cutting the vase.jpg
trimming.jpg

The Wrath of Man is created from a number of vases i purchased from a vendor who sells slipcast vessels. The molds for these vessels are created from hand thrown vessels, as can be seen above. (full disclosure: while I shot the above photo, the pot being trimmed was not used in The Wrath of Man.)  These 3 purchased vases, were then re-trimmed, in order to crisp them up, and alter their appearance, and their bottoms were trimmed off in order for a fire to be lit inside of them. They were partly glazed in tones of grey in order to simulate the effects of haze or smog on visibility, and create the illusion that they are much larger than they are.

"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath, for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." -James 1:19-20, The New Testament, King James Bible

There is an ironic connection between white christian conservatives and a disbelief in climate change. The irony is taken even further when it is noted that 81% of white evangelicals voted for Donal Trump, who is very clearly the angriest president in the history of the United States. His wrath not only only harming the poverty stricken, immigrants, and minorities, destabilizing trade and relationships with allies, etc., but it is promoting irreversible damage to the earth.

While I myself may not be religious, I have no idea how anyone could imagine his actions and anger (wrath)  producing the "righteousness of God."

160422_POL_Donald-Trump-Act.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

 Overall, 50% of adults say climate change is occurring mostly because of human activity such as burning fossil fuels, 23% say climate change is occurring due to natural patterns in the Earth’s environment, and 25% say there is no solid evidence that the Earth is warming. -Religion and Views on Climate and Energy Issues, pewinternet.org

Smoke stack banner.jpg